Friday Friends is a program that provides food for the weekend,
when free/reduced breakfasts and lunches
are not available to children. With your donations of individually
packaged food, local children who are food insecure
will not go hungry. This program has now been expanded to two schools and is done with support from the Food Bank of Iowa. Please check out the link below to find out more information.
How Can You Help?
(1) Donate cash to the Johnston Partnership with “Friday Friends” in the check’s memo line. Each backpack costs around $8.15/week.
(2) Organize a food drive of suggested individually packaged items.
(3) Participate in the Plus 1 Partnership at the Johnston Hy-Vee.
Sponsor a Johnston Elementary School student participating in Friday Friends in a loved one's name. Suggested levels:
$25 New Friend
$50 Fast Friend
$100 Side Kick
Here are things that can be used for Friday Friends:
- “Main course” meals that do not require refrigeration, such as canned Ravioli, canned tuna or chicken, or microwavable pasta
- Milk boxes
- 100% juice boxes
- Cereal or cereal bars
- Fruit/applesauce cups
- Pudding cups
- Individual servings of peanut butter
- Animal crackers
- Microwave Macaroni and Cheese
- Oatmeal packets
- Fruit snacks
- Pretzels, nuts, crackers
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
for more information